Kortni Root is originally from Altus, OK. She graduated college from Oklahoma University with a degree in Journalism.

Upon graduating with her degree, Kortni put her degree to use and worked at OETA for 5 years before realizing she wanted to have a flexible schedule to be able to be there with her kids – two girls who are now 21 and 16 years old.

After leaving OETA, Kortni decided to go into the medical field as a Medical Transcriptionist.

“I went to Mid-Del and took night classes,” she said. “I wanted something stable that would allow me to work from home so that I could be with my kids.”

Kortni worked as a Medical Transcriptionist for 17 years before she realized she was ready for something else.

“Both my girls are pretty independent now and they don’t need me home all the time,” she said. “Also the world of medical transcription is somewhat dying, and transitioning into more of a sales position and that’s not something I was interested in.”

Kortni decided to apply for the Educational Services Position for a few reasons; both her mother and sister worked in the Career Tech system, she loves working with students and she had worked at EOC Tech on a contract for two years, 25 years ago.

“I taught an evening Communications course for the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA) for adults,” she said. “The course was designed for adults who wanted to obtain their GED.”

Kortni said she looks forward to her first school year here at EOC Tech.

“I remembered working here and realizing what a great environment it was,” she said. “I’m looking forward to meeting everyone and interacting with students in the Testing Center – I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to work at EOC Tech again.

Spread the word. Share this post!