Health Careers Senior Spotlight, Jerryl Wise

Harrah High School senior and Health Careers student at EOC Tech Jerryl Wise, discovered his passion unexpectedly and is looking forward to turning that passion into a career. Jerryl plans to continue his education at East Central University and pursue a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Nursing upon graduating from high school this spring.

As a first-year student at EOC Tech, Jerryl began his training in the Welding program before making the transition into Health Careers.

“There was an incident with my brother where he had to be taken to the hospital,” Jerryl said. “That really sparked my interest in the medical field so I decided to give Health Careers a try.”

Last semester, Jerryl took the Anatomy and Physiology portion of the program and is currently taking the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) portion.

“I want to study to be either an Emergency, Trauma or Surgical RN,” he said. “I really enjoy taking care of people.”

When it comes to preparing for college, Jerryl feels he made the right decision by choosing to study at EOC Tech.

“I feel like I’m one step ahead in my college classes because I’ve already taken Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology,” he said. “After I finish the CNA courses and pass my clinical this spring, I’ll also be able to work as a CNA during college to get additional experience while also making money.”

Being one of the only males in EOC Tech’s Health Careers Program, Jerryl knows the importance of sticking with your gut when it comes to choosing a career.

“I think it’s important to choose what you want to study and follow your heart,” he said. “This is an amazing school and the teachers really want you to succeed. You can do anything if you have a good attitude and work ethic.”

Spread the word. Share this post!